EducatorsAbroad recognizes the crucial, but too often unacknowledged role that school-based mentors play in the professional development of educators.
To help ensure mentors are recognized for their mentoring abilities and have opportunity through which to further develop their skills, EducatorsAbroad offers two mentoring certificates that:
- Recognize effective mentors for their demonstrated abilities (Level 1).
- Certify completion of two case studies that demonstrate advanced mentoring abilities (Level 2).
Both certificates are based on candidates demonstrating the following expectations of effective mentors.
- Assist candidates in developing and demonstrating expectations associated with the professional qualification they seek.
- Assure candidates understand their responsibilities and the value, nature, and purpose of using criterion based professional development processes.
- Guide candidates in locating and effectively using any/all resources through which to develop their abilities.
- Provide a detailed record of each lesson observation (written, audio, and/or video) to the candidate for use in assessing their own performance.
- Share, in line with criteria associated with the qualification, thoughtful questions to stimulate candidate self-reflection; candid judgments and recommendations; and clear, specific targets for improvement.
- Promote improved practice by acting as a critical friend in regular meetings with the candidate.
- Highlight criteria that are being met at the appropriate level for the candidate’s experience and those that are not.
- Show how to collect witness statements that offer proof that the candidate demonstrates expectations for the desired qualification.
- Collaborate regularly and effectively with the assigned EducatorsAbroad colleague to assure the candidate progresses efficiently toward their goal and that feedback and assessment are coordinated.
I am interested in
EducatorsAbroad Level 1 Mentoring Certificate
- Mentors who serve EA participants through school-based support.
- Educators in EA partner schools who wish to be acknowledged for their mentoring abilities.
A certificate of recognition for demonstrating expectations of effective mentors in the professional development of educators.
- Recognize the professional talents and service of effective mentors who serve EA participants and work in EA partner schools.
- Increase awareness of the value and importance of school-based mentoring.
- Improve the effectiveness of mentors in the professional development of educators.
In EA partner schools, worldwide.
At any time during the school year.
There is no charge for granting the EA Level 1 mentoring certificate to educators who are mentoring an EA participant.
For educators in EA partner schools, but not serving an EA participant, there is a charge of £45 to cover costs associated with review and granting the Level 1 certificate.
To achieve the EA Level 1 mentoring certificate, school-based mentors demonstrate the expectations of an effective mentor for an EA colleague who then awards the certificate which is then sent to the recipient.
- Let the EA supervisor you are working with know of your interest in receiving this certificate.
- If you are not currently mentoring an EA participant, but are working in an EA partner school, send a message to Norman Blackett below.
EducatorsAbroad Level 2 Mentoring Certificate
Experienced mentors who meet the criteria for the Level 1 certificate and wish to further develop their mentoring abilities. They will usually:
- Be responsible for the quality of mentoring in their own or other schools and may provide school-based training to groups of mentors or mentees.
- Seek to advance further their techniques for identifying the needs and developing the competence of individual mentees, such as student teachers, newly qualified teachers or teaching assistants, which could be used to help less experienced mentors improve their practice.
Practical case studies that are linked to the mentor’s current role and completed with guidance of an assigned EducatorsAbroad supervisor.
For mentors to:
- Extend current good practice and provide a benchmark for raising expectations of other mentors.
- Work with other mentors to improve the teaching (or classroom support) of mentees in schools.
- Develop skills that could be used in other aspects of school development, such as improvement planning.
- Gain the EA Level 2 mentoring certificate that is awarded to advanced mentors in schools.
Worldwide in the school(s) in which each candidate is working.
At any time during the school year. The process is normally completed within a single school year.
Upon receipt of a completed application and payment of the fee, candidates are contacted by an EA supervisor who provides guidance and support through to award of the EA Level 2 mentoring certificate.